Saturday, October 02, 2010

DRESDEN II

Dresden was a strange place. The atmosphere was depressed. I was stared at a lot, and pointed at, so the feeling of being stared at was not my imagination. Even John was aware of it and was annoyed by it. I do not know if it was the wheelchair all the way that I was dressed although I do not see that there was anything unusual in my dress. We saw very few disabled people and in fact I think we only saw one wheelchair user. When we stopped to eat or have coffee we were immediately approached by staff but once we spoke their attitude seemed to change and we were left waiting for a long time for our order. We had planned to stay in Dresden four days but we only stayed one.

I also had terrible problems with food in Dresden. No matter what I ordered, meat or fish or foul with salad and vegetables it came smothered in a sugary dressing. Even their sauerkraut was sweet. I got very upset about this. However, that evening in the hotel I was able to make myself understood and my salad and vegetables came without any dressing on at all although instead of the rump steak I had ordered they gave me pork filet.

The river that Dresden is on is the Elbe. Also, despite appearances, nothing is old! They did an excellent job of rebuilding to look old as before after the city was flattened in WWII.

DRESDEN (16) DRESDEN (17) DRESDEN (4)DRESDEN (9) DRESDEN (8) DRESDEN (7) DRESDEN (6) DRESDEN (5) DRESDEN (2) DRESDEN (12) DRESDEN (18) DRESDEN (25) DRESDEN (23) DRESDEN (22) DRESDEN (21) DRESDEN (19) DRESDEN (15) DRESDEN (14) DRESDEN (13) DRESDEN (11) DRESDEN (10) DRESDEN (3) DRESDEN (1)

4 comments:

Lia Nord said...

Beautiful photos, Colin!

Butterfly Mage said...

The pictures are pretty. It's a shame that Dresden culture is so insular. As pretty as the place is, I don't see myself visiting somewhere that is apparently so unwelcoming to outsiders.

Marsha said...

Beautiful photos Colin! You look smashing in your sportcoat, Doc Martins and wheelchair.....Dresden's loss to not have you stay longer!

Maggie said...

Photos are great and I am sorry you were stared at and didn't get good service and had problems with the foods and sauces, took some of the enjoyment out of your holiday.
Wish I could wear your great shoes...