Wednesday, August 25, 2010

HIGH MAINTENANCE

Today has not been good. I detest being high maintenance.It embarrasses me. Apart from the incident with the nasty Police who nearly caused us to crash at high speed, EVERY meal I have ordered has been smothered in SUGAR!!!!!

We have never driven this far east in Germany before and it seems they have a thing for sweet dressings on everything. I thought I was safe with chicken and veg or salad or steak and veg/salad. No. All came smothered in sweet dressings. Tonight I managed to get the chef to understand I wanted NO DRESSING at all on any part of my meal.

This is now Dresden. Not gone well so far. Hotel NOT as advertised, NOT anywhere near centre, NO facilities other than food and WiFI. Room not a/c so humid. No way for wheelchair to enter except thru basement.  All I wanted to do was go home but of course no way can I do a long drive again for at least a couple of days.

I am learning more about how my disease is progressing. I am really upset tonight. I hate that John is affected by it, it really p's me off to be dependent and limited. We are really going to have to think thru future trips. Like I think I need two days of no driving between each drive, not one. I am just blathering on now. I just came close to,losing it earlier and just felt ashamed of myself and my needs. It would be so much easier if 1. pain killers also stopped fatigue and 2. if I could eat grain/pulses/sugar. Given the choice, I choose to keep the disease and get rid of the food allergies. It really f8cks me off. It would be so simple to just order what was on the menu. For John and for me. Poor John gets upset too when he realises I am not being catered to and he does his best for me. I just wish he didn't have to, that it could all be stress free.

At the lunch restaurant, up a long flight of stairs, there was a locked lift for handicapped. The only way to use the lift was to go UP the stairs to get the f8cking key! Morons. Every handicapped loo was locked at every stop. THEN THEY SMOTHERED MY FOOD IN THAT SUGAR DRESSING.

When one is driving several hundred miles, one can hardly just say 'hey, let's just try the next place.' No idea where to will be or what it will be like. Tomorrow we will eat out of supermarkets. John refuses to not join me in that which makes me feel bad. I know it's cos he loves me but really I wish he would eat normally. I KNOW he would prefer to sit in a restaurant and eat a meal and not eat out of plastic bag in the hotel room. Do I sound ungrateful? I am not, just feeling shamed at having this damned condition.

4 comments:

anachronist said...

I so feel with you.

There is a place on the internet, where you can custom adjust your gourmet-allergy info for the chef.
In German and english you can get them at www.delicardo.de
just as an example.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=340959892390
there is a scavenger hunt to get the cards as a price in the raffle or participants. So sorry, that your vacation is stressful due to food related hassle.
Being the fussy one can be embarassing, but you have reason to, not wanting to suffer from intolerances in food and being as pain free as possible are wishes, everyone has.
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
nana.

Lol said...

So sorry you have suffered so much distress. Hope it improves tomorrow. Hugs to you both. xx

janalee said...

Don't worry about being fussy. Take care of yourself. I want you in good condition so I can [selfishly] continue to enjoy your blog and your creations.

Penelope Grey said...

Don't be too hard on yourself Colin, you have done amazingly well to drive as far as you have. I went to Germany last December and although it was nice I did find the food a bit overwhelming for me. The bratwurst were huge, as were the cakes, in fact everything seemed to arrive double the size I expected and the cakes, trying to find one without heaps of sugar or loaded up with cream seemed impossible. It is always difficult in terms of food whenever you travel. My step daughters youngest has 109 food intolerances/allergies, so eating out for them is a nightmare. For me having given up sugar (almost) and salt, I find the slightest amount of sugar or salt is too much now for me.