Wednesday, June 23, 2010

KILL ME SOFTLY

Frequently in this country the subject of euthanasia comes up in the news. I get very angry at those who are opposed to it. At present, they hold sway. We are in a ridiculous position of being criminally liable if we help a human being in agony to die and be criminally liable if we do not kill an animal that is in agony!

With the law as it stands, I would have to kill myself before my illness makes my life intolerable.

There is no way I am going to allow myself to come under the control of health professionals. It  is a lie to say that people do not die in pain.  They do.  Pain relief does not work in over 30% of people who are dying from a painful condition.  My GP told me that.  I know of a woman who had to have her spinal cord cut, which made her completely paralysed, to end her pain!

Those who campaign to keep euthanasia illegal keep accusing those of us who believe in helping to end a person's suffering through compassion, of wanting to play God.  Taking antibiotics, painkillers, surgery, all are playing God!

Why should I have to die miserably just because of somebody else's idea?  How dare they force their religious views or ethical views upon other people?  It is not true that where there is life there is hope.  Another lie.  What sort of God wants a person to die in agony, and without dignity?  Often the only reason a person gets to that point is because of medical interference in the first place!  We are so afraid of death that we cause enormous suffering to each other.  Although of course we seem to have no qualms about killing people with bombs!  By that I am not just referring to terrorists.

I believe that it is pure cowardice, if not wickedness, to think that it is somehow noble or right to leave a person to die in agony.  Oh, I know that they will not literally be left.  They will be watched.  This makes it worse, as far as I'm concerned.

The argument that many people, especially the old and disabled will be put to death by the selfish and self-centred, is a ridiculous argument against euthanasia!

I would not expect a doctor to help somebody to die if they really felt that they could not.  I do expect that a doctor, who would not have a problem in acting out of compassion, would be allowed to do so.

Yes I do find the prospect of finding myself incapable and in pain, frightening.  I know what to do to end my life, but it really upsets me that I would have to do this before there was any chance that I could not and my life was in the hands of others.  I find the attitude of many healthcare professionals and lay people to be quite abhorrent.  It is one thing to make decisions for oneself, based on religious belief.  It is quite another to make such decisions for others based upon such beliefs.

6 comments:

steel breeze said...

Agree 100%. When my dad finally went, aged 60, from pneumonia/suspected parkinsons, having been fed by tubes for a month (and it all pouring back out of him, he was about 5st when he went) it was really a blessing - for us and more importantly for him. He looked like something from a concentration camp, and years of various mixtures of medications for depression/bowel problems had caused a minor stroke. Depression meds have serious side effects, and I doubt every single combination of every single drug could ever be tested. One doctor, on receiving his notes, asked if the man was still alive, the notes were that prolific.

Previous to that he'd been at death's door because his digestion had packed up, so they left off the meds and he recovered and lived another five years. So pills and medicines don't solve all problems and often cause even more.

If this was the US I'd've pushed my mother to sue the lot of them for incompetance regarding the stroke they caused, which wrecked his mobility.

Denise said...

I agree also. I watched my mother in law die in pain. She had pancreatic cancer and she was allergic to pain medications except extra strength Tylenol. It just broke my heart to see her in so much pain and I could do nothing to ease it. My grandmother had dementia and had stopped eating. Instead of letting her go they waited a week and then put a feed line into her stomach. I know that starving to death is a bad way to go but she was never going to come back to the way she was before. So sad to watch loved ones deteriorate before your eyes. Even if you sign a no resusitation form you could end up being on life support if the form is not at the hospital.

Monadelphus said...

Colin, I have had nothing but the kindest most compassionate response from the medical profession in each case where my parents were at the end of their lives. Both were fully compus mentis beforehand, and had made their feelings known, but cometh the hour, it was down to us the family to deal with the medics. In neither case would I dream of making a complaint against the drs. involved.

TracyKM said...

I totally agree. I've never heard an owner of pet in terrible health say they kept their pet alive because they're against euthanizing and would rather make their pet suffer than euthanize. (I know many who kept their pet alive too long for their own comfort even though they knew it was causing discomfort to the animal, but it wasn't because they were against euthanasia).
I was just thinking about this topic the other day, while reading about the dismal state of 'end of life' living facilities here (not hospices for those so close to death, but long term care for medically difficult patients). I hope I die quick and easy before I ever reach such a state, and it saddens me to think that's how it has to be in this country too.

Iris said...

So physicians take an oath to "do no harm," but it's my opinion that allowing a patient to suffer is ridiculous. Furthermore, I believe it's every individual's choice to decide they've had enough. If a patient believes he or she wants to have a life of pain ended, it should be their choice and their choice alone. The arrogance of people who foist their belief system and sensibilities on a suffering person is, in my opinion, bordering on criminal.

Yarnhog said...

I totally agree. No one has the right to force someone else to go on living in pain and misery. We are kinder to our animals than to our fellow humans in that respect. When our old Golden Retriever, who had been having seizures for months, suffered a massive stroke and was partially paralyzed and moaning in pain, I held her head in my lap and talked to her while the doctor gently put her out of her misery. There is no doubt in my mind that she was relieved and grateful. It is tragic that I would not be able to provide the same kindness to a person I loved.