Saturday, April 03, 2010

QUANDARY

My desktop PC has a problem, I don't know what, I am taking it to the shop Tuesday. It works fine but it has become very noisy and something sounds like it's whirring/clicking all the time, a bit like when a bike wheel turns and soemthing is hitting the spokes. It has been doing this a logn time I have to say. I figured the loud whirring is the fan. It's making this funny engine sound now. It is intermittent. Not the whole time the pc is on.
Anyway the desktop is used mostly for photography and printing. I am thinking of replacing with an Imac. I would appreciate any feedback. Here the differece in cost is not a lot. The new All In One PC's cost about the same as the Imac.

Frustratingly my laptop Pc, Acer Aspire is buggered. The wi fi won't work properly. I can, weirdly, use Skype and Norton was able to download updates. However, if I try to connect to my email or browser it can't. The diagnostic says windows cannot communicate witht eh device or DNS server. No idea what that emans. It says the device is working properly. It clearly isn't.

4 comments:

Iris said...

Switching from a Windows machine to a Mac is relatively painless. What's more, if you want to, you can run both the Mac and the Windows operating systems on your Mac.

Pros of a Mac: Fewer viruses, easier setups, ease of use, excellent graphics handling and Internet connection.

Cons of a Mac: You'd probably have to purchase new word processing software and some knitting software doesn't work on the Mac OS

To run Windows, buy a copy of Windows and download Mac's Bootcamp software to run it in an easy to set up petition.

I do it and it works fine. I've never, ever had a virus on a Mac. There are a few out there, but not many.

If you want to know more, we can converse via email.

I spent 5 years as a technology director and had both Macs and Windows computers. There were never, ever issues with the Macs and lots of them with the Windows computers.

Lol said...

Double ouch! In my experience whirring and clicking is either the fan or the hard disc.

Is there a problem with your ISP on the laptop? Perhaps a call to their help line? Or there was problems with part of a BT network this week that was causing some Internet problems in which case it will fix itself.

I have an Aspire 6920 and I really rate it.

Iris said...

I think I should add to the comment above that there will, like anything else, be a learning curve should you switch to a Mac. Within a week, you'll feel like you've always used one, though.

And, Lol is right about the probable noise. There's not much else that's moving inside that computer, unless you have a CD or DVD always in the optical drive. If it's the drive, it's going to die, eventually. If it's the fan, the thing's going to heat up and die, eventually, too.

It wasn't all that long ago you purchased that machine, was it? Or have I just been reading your blog for much longer than I realized?

Anonymous said...

The problem with your laptop may be the norton antivirus. I switched to avg its free(USA) and my tech strongly suggested this.