Tuesday, April 27, 2010

CONTROL FREAKERY

I had belonged to a knitting list for several years until today. I left.

A couple of years back there was some real nastiness on the group and much of it aimed at me by some really nasty pieces or work. I rode it out, didn’t leave, and the list once again became pleasant to be a part of.

Now without any warning we have a new owner who describes herself as ‘list mom’ which is awful in itself, and who is now moderating everyone and censoring posts! I enquired as to what was going on and had a curt non explanation in response.

The list was asked recently if we wanted the group to continue and most of us did. A poll was set up and the majority wanted the list left as it is.

Now it is moderated and edited!

I have started an alternative for those interested. This is NOT intended to be a call to leave the other group!

My usual group rules apply: NO ABUSIVE mails will be tolerated. Other than that no one will be edited or moderated once they are known to be genuine posters, not a spammer.

UKHandknitting-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk

EDIT: I AM APPALLED TO DSICOVER THAT THE ‘NEW’ OWNER OF THE GROUP IS AN ALIAS BEING USED BY A ‘FRIEND’ WHO HAS DECIVED US ALL!!!!!

3 comments:

AR said...

Oh Colin,
What a shame, I do so dislike unpleasantness.
As you say the group went through a nasty patch some time ago but I thought all that was behind us.

Didn't even know the group had changed hands.

Ann.

LizzieK8 said...

Which knitting group and where is yours?

anachronist said...

I am so sorry for such a thing happening.
In the past, I have come to see a pattern for such coltrolling behaviour. Such persons seem to be going through a very dark patch in their lives and the control they are missing there, they force onto others in other contexts. Only thing to do is either put up with it and stay or not put up with it and leave.
I am glad, you chose the second option, it seems to be easier for the one on the receiving end of such phases of controllism.
Good luck with the new group, is it open for non UK users, too?
I might want to have a go on it ;-)