Monday, April 26, 2010

CHRIS ROCK

When I first saw him, I switched him off within the first few sentences out of his mouth. I couldn’t stand that voice.

Recently, I saw him briefly as part of a program about stand up comedy. I listened long enough to think I might get him.

I have just was him him for an hour and twenty minutes. I still find his voice very grating. I also find him to be intelligent and insightful. Hardly anything he said I disagreed with. I’d only take issue with him over the use of the word ‘faggot’. If a white person can’t say nigger then I don’t see why he doesn’t get that a straight person ought not use the word faggot (or queer, poof, shirtlifter etc) for exactly the same reasons.

He regrets leaving school with no qualifications. He is clearly and intelligent man and he has done well. He is grateful for that too, not unaware of how good life is for him.

I can see why people would find him offensive. He swears a lot. He is crude. He is also right on the button with his observations and insights into human behaviour, and there are people who just do not like a spotlight upon their machinations and self-deceit.

I am glad I got past his voice and heard what he had to say.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I have heard him interviewed before and he is capable of talking with out the profanity. It is expected of him so he does it. You are right he can be very interesting. I dislike name calling of any kind, it only demeans the speaker.

HunterXan said...

I used to really dislike him for exactly the same reasons, until I saw one of his stand up routines on HBO. I've loved him ever since. There's a show on here in the U.S. called "Everybody Hates Chris", based somewhat on his years growing up.

FYI, he's HILARIOUS in the move "The Fifth Element", w/Bruce Willis.