Tuesday, February 23, 2010

IF ONLY I HAD THE DVD CAMERA…..

Last week, I did a trial of my gut to see if I could do without the twice daily meds for it. It seemed okay at first but gradually my symptoms came back full force.

During this time, I had a lot of intestinal incidents, to put it politely. I tell you, I could have been used as a WMD.

Anyway, I was sitting on John’s armchair and Luque jumped up and he stood up on his rear legs to lick my ear. Just then, I had one of my intestinal eruptions. Luque sniffed the air and promptly fell backwards off the armchair.

It is a wonder I didn’t expire from laughing. Just writing this has me laughing all over again.

Now for something slightly different but dog related. Carly and Bridget had a fight, as sisters are wont to do. I left them to it but as it went on a bit, I got up and went into the kitchen to see what the fuss was about. They stopped and Bridget sat there, head hanging, holding her left paw up in the air. I called her to me and she hopped along on three legs to me, looking every bit the wounded soldier. I examined her paw and there was nothing i could see wrong. I patted her on the head and said silly things to her. She promptly bounds off and jumps up at the patio doors to be let out and when she was let out she ran around the patio!

Now what sort of behaviour is that? do they do this pretend injury act in the wild? Do they pretend to the pack leader in the wild that they are hurt? Bridget is not the first dog I have had that does this. In fact most of them do. I just don’t get it. It is rather funny and endearing. I just wonder what the purpose really is and if they do it just because of the human interaction or if it is a known and natural dog behaviour?

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

My little Leslie (cairn terrier) suddenly lost the use of his hind legs. Horrified, I rushed him to the vet. When we got there, he leapt up onto the table, thrilled to be making a visit to one of his favorite people. Instant cure. Margaret occasionally does this too, but the sight of a treat sends her ills off to the ether. Weird!