Friday, December 04, 2009

LOGIC FREE

I think you should be careful at labelling people who don't agree with same sex marriage as bigots. A bigot is someone who believes in something without a reason. A lot of people who are against same sex marriage do have reasons. Just because their reasons are not acceptable to some others doesn't make them bigots.

The words above are part of a comment left to the post HOLD UP. To the person who wrote it, I am not having a personal go at you.

It just doesn't make sense. Bigots are bigots and all have reasons for their bigotry. The words appear to be saying that people who discriminate against non whites, whites, Jews, Muslims,women, children, are not bigots because they have reasons. Everyone, unless quite mad, has reasons for their prejudices!

There is no logical reason to discriminate against homosexuals, women, children, ethnicity. None at all. All deserve the same rights and respect as any other human being, including, and most especially, protection under the law.

I discriminate against beliefs and ideas. I try my best to not discriminate against people for whatever reason and the hardest part of that , for me, is to always respect the person even if they only spew hateful ideas. I do avoid people who hold certain beliefs and I will do what is in my power to resist them having their ideas widely accepted and forced upon society. Here I speak of fundamentalist Xtians and Muslims and Jews and Hindus and all fundamentalists of the religious type. Fundamentalism is inherently evil. I don't believe the people who hold the views are, just their ideas.

Bigotry, is just not logical, full stop. No matter which way you look at it.

One of the incidents of abuse I recall well was being accosted in the jungle in Singapore. I was about 9. The man pulled my clothing off and masturbated over me. He was Indian or Malay. As a result of this, I have an aversion toward men who look like he did. I have NOT let this become a prejudice, meaning I do not think all Indian and Malay men are child abusers and I don't treat them as if they are.

As my most common experience of my own sex has been violence, I have a much harder time not being prejudiced toward men. In fact, I am. No matter how I try, I just am. I am always on my guard around men and I trust very few of them. I see them as dangerous. I do however try, and mostly succeed, in not treating them accordingly.

BIGOT DEFINITION

Only one, Wikidictionary, gives a silly definition of the word bigot.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Before I commented on your previous post mentioning bigots, I looked the meaning up in a dictionary. It said that bigots were people who believed something without a reason. I guess the meaning of bigot would vary between dictionaries but that's what mine said and I wrote what I did based on that meaning.

Elaine said...

Colin, well said. People are not born bigots - it is mirrored in what they see and are taught. Some are able to outgrow - if you will - that behavior, most choose not to, for whatever their reasons. As I have said before, until we learn unconditional love, we will never be truly free from hate and bigotry.

Love always,
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Some people who discriminate against others often do so because of what they DO, not necessarily what they ARE.
You refer to it in your case as "discriminate against". "I do avoid people who hold certain beliefs and I will do what is in my power to resist them having their ideas widely accepted and forced upon society." This is exactly how a lot of people feel towards homosexuals so by your own definition they are not bigots.

Lol said...

Well said Colin.

I have never understood why there is such opposition - and yes in my mind it definately is bigotry against homosexuals of any gender and same sex marriage. To use a well worn but apt example - try substituting Jew for the word homosexual and see how that sounds.

Love is love and to want to commit to each other in a formal way is the most natural thing in the world and to prevent that is criminal.

It riles me that people hold up hetrosexual marriage as the model for all that is good and healthy. Well, peep behind some of those lacy white curtains and see what you find.

And btw, fyi in case anyone is wondering and because I think it is relevant to this, I am a 50+, married, hetrosexual female.

Iris said...

I guess I'm a bigot when it comes to cockroaches. I have no real reason. I just don't like 'em. :laughing::

I just totally disregard anonymous posts as having absolutely no merit whatsoever (unless, as a previous poster, one doesn't know how to put in the name). If you don't have the conviction and confidence to post your name, you don't deserve respect. That's my opinion.