Tuesday, September 29, 2009

SILLY IRRITATIONS

How can I be more annoyed at something trivial than at something major?

I was fed up having to go to an online conversion thing every time I wanted to convert from yards to metres. So I made a point of remembering that 0.9144m is 1 yard.

(oh and some idiot now thinks that the reason the EU is insisting we all use metric is that different EU countries have inches of different lengths!)

I thought this would be helpful so I shared it one the various sock knitters lists. The response? Every which way of doing the same damn thing, more complicated and less accurate. It seems some people just cannot bear to see me be helpful and have to find a way to tear it down. Whatever I say, contradict it, knock it down, but never say thanks or agree. OOh no. People might think f*ck knows what'

So I wrote 'you could if you don't have a calculator or a brain' which was meant to be funny. I then get a snippy email from someone who thought it very mean.

Really! I think I shall go off in huff and sulk now. The world would be so much nicer with just my dogs, if somewhat boring and lacking in sex. So maybe the world wouldn't be that much nicer after all.

EDIT: is just me or is there something about commentators who only leave negative comments?

13 comments:

cindy said...

I think it was very mean also, just sayin.

brigitte said...

Thank you, Colin, you made me laugh - something I need after a day at work with people (okay, it's two guys)who think they are God's Gift To Mankind when in fact they are irritating at best.
Just me and my dogs... now there is a thought worth daydreaming about ;o)
Brigitte

Elaine said...

People need to lighten up, stop taking everything so seriously. Laugh a little. Life is Gods joke. He is laughing at all of us. Just appreciate being, no questions, quit nitpicking and love unconditionally.

Anonymous said...

not silly just plain mean, I for one would like to see a world with dogs and dog lovers We are the nice ones

FuguesStateKnits said...

Aw Colin - you know the philosophy that has served me in good stead throughout my career (legal or otherwise: - borrowed from the great Kathy Mankowsky of Sarasota FL, USA:
"Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!"

Susan said...

The written word lacks the inflection of voice that would have conveyed humour. "Flat" words are often misinterpreted.
After having the metric system foisted on us I have learned to knit metric, measure and cook imperial. I buy petro in litres but talk "miles per gallon." It is a pain in the pinny....

LizzieK8 said...

I thought it was funny......

There seems to be, since our last election, a bunch of rudeness in the States. For some reason some people are thinking it's okay to utter politically incorrect statements and be rude to minorities. I think it's the good Christian right wingers that are promoting this, as they seem to be doing most of it. They are angry and think they get to be mean because of it.

AR said...

Colin,
How unpleasant some people can be.
What dull lives they must lead if they cannot detect a spark of humour.
Sadly, too many seem to think that anyone posting a 'helpful hint' is doing it as a challenge, and they feel h*ll bent on outdoing the original post.
I used to post whimsical comments on a MB some time ago just for fun. They used to cheer most people, until one poster decided to question and write at length as to whether what I'd posted was a valid comment or not. Needless to say I stopped posting.
I agree with Elaine people do need to lighten up.

Laugh often, Live well , Love much.

Take care

AnnR

Indigo said...

Indigo Incarnates

An inch is always an inch, but a gallon is not always a gallon. Oddly enough, the size of a gallon is smaller in the United States than it is in Japan. I always wondered why the same car in Japan got better mileage than the same car in the USA. Apparently they use something called an "imperial" gallon, versus a standard gallon. Odd, eh?

Bachdiva said...

As you know, Colin , our beloved sock list abounds with self-appointed experts...sigh...

ROCK ON, DUDE!!

Rachel said...

I love the colours on those socks Colin, can you tell me what the yarn was? I ought not to buy any more really but they were lovely to look at.

Donna said...

I know just how you feel, Colin, you really hit the nail on the head for me: some people can be so pettily pathetically negative!!

Just me and my yarn I think...

=Tamar said...

Hi, Colin. It isn't the reason the EU is pushing the metric system, but it is true that at one time, different countries had different lengths for an inch!
I remember the Dutch inch was different enough from the UK inch to make a difference in home carpentry, and I think it was some time in the late 20th century that the US inch and the UK inch were reconciled (the difference was too small to matter for casual use but made a difference in very small things; then the UK switched anyway).

There are many twits in the world, in all nations.