Monday, September 07, 2009

I WON!!!!

I can't recall if I mentioned this or not but I have recently had to go to battle the govt once again over my disability allowances. They had written and agreed that my disease had got worse but they reduced it because they reckoned that my needs were now less!!!!

I kept my cool and I wrote to them and set out my case.

I have received a letter and am once again receiving the same allowances as before and FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more having to do battle every 3 years. They seem to have finally understood what the terms 'progressive' in relation to disease, means.

This is a huge deal for me. I have a problem fighting for myself. My past, my childhood, taught that to make a fuss was to make things worse so now whenever I do make a fuss it is with much trepidation. However, my sense of injustice is also huge and thus so is my indignation. So I fight. And I won. Again.

Now I have to face up to going back to the pool.

I have finished John's socks. I have had plenty of time today as I have not been able to do anything else. Not even dress. One of those days. I haven't been outside and have stayed in my pyjamas. I also didn't care. Often, it seems, when I can't dress/undress it is on a day when I am not at all inclined to go anywhere anyway. Once again I have felt as if I am coming down with something, hoarse voice, stiff an painful neck, more so than usual. But no cold or anything so I think it's just the normal stuff my body does.

I am going to sleep now feeling chuffed with myself for taking the bull by the horns.

11 comments:

kshotz said...

I'm so happy for you! It will be nice not to have to hassle with benefit issues . . .

I do wish we in America would find a way to fix our health care system.

Take care Colin!
Kim

Iris said...

Congratulations on your win!!!

FuguesStateKnits said...

Hey Colin! Congratulations on your victory! I'm sure it stressed you out - cannot imagine the kind of stress you were under. Like you, I have no problem sticking up for someone else, but when it's something for me, I just fold. If it makes you feel any better, I've had quite a quiet weekend myself. Not counting yesterday, it was pretty much knit knit knit. Don't you hate when that happens? (NOT, LOL!)
Hang in there! I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. It must be somewhat scary, the feeling that what you have is progressive. Sending out good healthy vibes, my friend!

karrol said...

you have been blessed and you deserve it.and if you want to be comfortable you should do that too.
you are a fine man and a loving soul.. enjoy your family,remember the animals are for us to love and care for ... your friend ,karrol in florida

AR said...

Well done Colin !
So pleased to read of your success re. the allowances. :-)
If you choose to celebrate by having a 'dress-down' day in your 'jammies' good for you.

If you can tackle the Govt and win I'm sure you'll find a way to deal with the problems at the pool.

Take care.

AnnR

Penelope Grey said...

Congratulations Colin, what a victory and such a relief. Sorry I didn't see your comment on my blog, for some reason I am not getting email notification when anyone comments, I will fix it. The track you liked is by a group called The Noisettes, they are from London. They have an album out at the moment called Wild Young Hearts, you should be albe to pick up a copy in Tescos! (if thats where you go). As regards my blog, I fancied a change. I am still knitting, but doing lots of other stuff as well.

Regarding the incident in the pool, I wonder if she was making it up that she was a Police Officer just to frighten you, as it sounds in fact like the last thing a real Police Officer would do, I would like to think they would be more professional than that woman. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do about the pool. I hate bullies or anyone who thinks they "know" whats best! Beverley

Little Dragon Designs said...

I don't know how they do it there, but here they automatically turn down about 95% of applicants for Social Security Disability. You have to fight tooth & nail. Of course, if you can fill out all the paperwork & have the energy to fight it out, you obviously can work.

In fact, it is easier to get it on the basis of mental problems. Being a child & adult abuse survivor, it isn't difficult to have those mental problems. So while my physical conditions are what really keep me down, I had to get my shrink to say I was totally nuts (which wasn't a lie unfortunately). Then I got it right away. I love my country. My government scares & confuses me.

Congrats on getting yours settled.

WendyW in Big Pine Key, FL

steel breeze said...

Good for you! My mum always felt bad about using my dad's disabled badge for parking, 'cause some days he could walk and some days not. He lost his licence, alas, mainly because his reflexes were shot. It's hard to stand up for yourself sometimes, I hate making a fuss, although I will shout my case behind closed doors.

Next time you see that "policewoman", perhaps you should let yourself go into spasm, and dunk her! (evil grin) Keep calm and keep stating your case. Empty vessels make the most noise.

Natalie Servant said...

Congrats on winning the battle with the gov't.

Good luck on getting back to the pool. I'm really hoping to read that you're able to get back there soon.

busyknitting said...

I certainly understand the stress of having to fight for your rights and your disability and I am thrilled for you that you will not have to go through the grueling process again!!! Congrats! K

Yarnhog said...

Good for you! I love to hear about a righteous victory.