Sunday, August 02, 2009

HARVEY MILK SOCKS

Well, I finally finished them. Phew! I knitted them with a 75% wool 25% nylon yarn from THE WOOLHUNTER. I knitted them on Hiya Hiya 1.75mm needles. Mainly because I wanted the yarn to do something more interesting with it's beautiful colours. This is the best I could do. The grey swirls around and around but the black and orange still stripe! Due to the smaller gauge, these socks are shorter than I like. However, I am pleased with them overall. I like the pattern I used and will be using it to better effect, I think, on John's plain blue socks. I have named them after The assassinated San Francisco supervisor, Harvey Milk, who, like the pattern, did not take the easy, straight pathway and paid with his life but by so doing laid the path for others in the battle for freedom.
I knitted them using my toe up Andersson method with the Andersson heel Mach II (improved version.)
This is the pattern. Simple to do. I changed from 2x2 to 4x4 every 10 rows, but alternating where the 4 x4 lay.
EDIT: the pattern is only on the instep and front of leg. teh rear of leg is plain 2x2 rib. I used travelling sts to create the pattern, no increasing or decreasing. So, for example, after the first 9 tows of 2x2 ribbing, on the 10th round I purl one, hold next purl at back, knti 2, purl the held stitch, p2 and hold next 2 sts to front, purl 1 and then knit 2 held at front. As you do dit, it will become obvious how you do it. then I knti a further 9 rounds afetr this one and on the 10round, I travel back to 2x2. Now the importnat bit is that wehn you are ready to travel back to 4x4 you do not do the same as for the first swtich to 4x4. Instead you p2, hold 2 to front, p1, knit 2, hold p st at back, knti 2, p the held stich, p2, hold 2 to front, p1, knit the 2 held. I have written this as I try to picture in my mind what I did so this is not foolproof. However, if you DO IT, it will become clear.

15 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

Great Socks!!! and a great name for them, too. Did you see that the Prez gave him the Freedom Medal this last week? (I think that's the name...anyway it's the highest honor the gov't can bestow on a civilian.)

Emily said...

These are beautiful. Thanks so much for the tribute and the beautiful pattern.

Susan said...

OOOO I like that 2x2 - 4x4 - I must give that a try. Thank you for the idea.
Harvey Milk, what an inspiring man!

Karen said...

Love the pattern, the yarn, the name and the explanation! Where ever he is now, I bet Mr. Milk is pleased to be so remembered. And you are a never ending source of amazement - your imagination and your knitting skill are incredible. Be well.

Lia Nord said...

Great pattern, Colin! I think, instead of writing a sock book, you ought to write a stitch treasury! Then there's no having to explain how to fit the patterns to different sized feet. I can see it now: Andersson's Stitch Treasury #1, #2 ....

cindy said...

Such a simple idea for a sock pattern.....switching from one type of ribbing to another and achieving wonderful results. Bravo! A real tribute to a special man!

FuguesStateKnits said...

AWRIGHT!!!! HOORAY! The Medal of Freedom! How wonderful:)
Don't know if I told you this, Colin, but my wonderful stepmother used to work with HM and knew him. To this day, she takes his loss personally - as do we all!
:)I so love you:) (In a completely platonic way of course!!!!!):)
Crazy Joan a/k/a FSK

Anonymous said...

Once again another beautiful pair of socks! Beth

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pattern, Colin! Look really pretty!

Sharon in CA

Anonymous said...

Very clever. Looks like you did traveling stitches!

Chris said...

Clever pattern! Thanks for sharing.

Jeanie said...

Oh i love these!! those are my favorite colors. i love the fall blend and
your heels are just plain gorgeous. i think the striping there looks so neat
and clean and such tiny stitches.

you did a very very good job on those. i think they might be my favorite
pair so far!!

Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Nice socks! I really like the pattern, I think I might have to make a pair!

happy knitting,
Joyce

Beth said...

Loved your Harvey Milk socks...nicely done! Have you seen the movie "Milk"? Very good movie with strong characters I came to admire immensely.

Anita said...

Very nice Colin, interesting design.