Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bonaparte

I really like this colourway. It is by Schoppel Wolle, from their Admiral Flake range, colour number 2013. It is 75% virgin wool and 25% nylon. The ball band says it is 420m per 100gm but I think there is less than that. This is the second ball I have used and they both came up short in the sock. The first pair, Nelson, I knitted on 2mm and they were shorter than these. This pair I knittedon 2.25mm and they are still shorter than my noraml socks. Put it this way, 117 rounds to heel, turn heel, 80 rounds in pattern and then 16 rounds in rib. Normally I can expect 100 rounds of pattern and 30 rounds of rib out of a sock yarn that is 420m per 100gm. Sp something is not correct here. This yarn does feel thicker than usual. Still, I really like them and the length is not so short as to irritate me.
I used my Andersson Toe Up Method and the Andersson Heel Mach II (revised). This yarn is a very good reason for toe up! Had I been knitting top down, I would have run out before I finished as this yarn comes up so short.
No one has ever asked how I come upo with the names for my socks. I use word association.



6 comments:

tinebeest said...

Could it simply be that 420m should be 429yards? That gives you a little bit over 380m. But coming up short is one of the main reasons I love knitting socks toe-up (your method, of course. It rocks and gives brilliant results)

Nice socks, as always :-) Bonaparte is a good name in that series of colourways ;-)

Iris said...

I LOVE these socks!!!

Knitting-twitter said...

.. they look fantastic Colin but then what is new.. all of your socks look fantastic.. ciao ciao

Judy in upstate NY said...

Really pretty, again! I just love these!

FuguesStateKnits said...

Coming up short=Bonaparte
by George, I think I've got it!

Woofgangpug said...

Yup, when I saw the words "Admiral" and "Nelson" in one paragraph, I figured you were a word association guy. My mind works that way too ... sometimes to my detriment!