Tuesday, July 21, 2009

UNCOMMON BRAVERY



Judy has telephoned to say she loved her card (above) and also the lace socks. She seems really impressed by the socks and she has never owned or seen hand made socks. Now she would like a pair of those see thru wellies but I have no idea where they can be bought. Anyone?

I have also had an email from a friend who emigrated to Nepal to live in a house on top of a mountain. She is no spring chicken, about 60 I think, and really quite one of the bravest people I know. She has taken her Lhasa Apso, 3 of them, with her. This is her house:And this is where it is:Aren't you impressed? I am. It makes me throat constrict for reasons I am not sure of. I know that since childhood I have had a thing about this area of the world and have a strange connection with my dogs which are form this part of the world. When I first set eyes upon the Lhasa Apso, a shaggy dog in a photograph, I knew I had to have them. I was 12 and at 50 I still passionate about them. I shall never see (I almost wrote 'my homeland') Tibet, Nepal or the Himalayas in this life.

My swim went well. I am about to go to bed now. I have watched a film with Naomi Watts and Edward Norton called The Painted Veil which is a Somerset Maugham story. I had started to watch Amazing Grace but am too tired. I had no idea this favourite hymn was written by a reformed slave trader about his seeing how wrong his trade was.

6 comments:

BammerKT said...

I loved the Painted Veil, but then I think Edward Norton is a brilliant actor.

The card is adorable! I can't say for sure where to buy those see thru Wellies in the UK, but I've seen them on ebay and in some yarn stores here in the U.S. I hope you can find some!

Iris said...

Isn't it just beautiful there?!? I can see why she'd do it, but I'm not sure I'd have the balls to do it.

Yarnhog said...

I loved The Painted Veil, both the movie and the book. (I also think Edward Norton is brilliant, and watch anything he's in.)

TracyKM said...

I have a pair of size 40 see thru boots (they also say 8 on them, and I was told they'd fit me, a US 8 1/2,but they don't). However, I am in Canada and I think the shipping would be crazy.
Love the house/story of Nepal. Wow. I'd do that someday if I could still have internet and speedy mail delivery.

Nan said...

I was totally blown away by Amazing Grace. It made me want to go out and change the world somehow. Such a power film about an inspiring man.

karrol said...

Follow your heart and your friend , to India. Now you have someone to visit there.God works in strange ways ,maybe this is one of the ways to bless you....You are so special .Judy would love to have you visit. When you are in a foreign country it is always nice to have company from home..