Sunday, July 26, 2009

Great News - Not So Great news

GOOD NEWS FIRST

Whitney is now CHAMPION POLIELIN'S WHITNEY WITH TANTRA J.W. She gained her crown at Leeds on Friday. She also took Best of Breed and went on to Utility Group 3. 101 Lhasa Apso entered. Whitney gained her title with the required 3 cc's, each with Best Of Breed. She is just 20 months old. Whitney has done remarkably well for a black Apso and for one so young. The 1 G3 and 2 G4 placings are even more impressive for her.

I am so grateful that my friend Linda allowed me to have my choice of puppy. I was apprehensive in choosing a black. I am glad I went with my gut.

EDIT: I don't care what colour the Apso comes in. I just care if they are healthy and fit the standard. Unfortunately, many people think golden is the only colour that looks glamorous and the only colour they like. I don't call these people serious breeders of Lhasa Apso but exhibitors of show dogs. There is a big difference between the two. The latter are the reason why a breed changes from what it ought to be into an exaggerated show machine. Of course there are judges who look for 'show dog' too, rather than a good Lhasa Apso. So yes, doing so well with a black Apso is remarkable. She is not the only one though. A few years back another black bitch, Ch Deelayne Indulgence, did very very well, gaining many top wins.

NOT SO GOOD NEWS

We are not going away. The weather is atrocious. It is blowing a storm as I write and more and worse is forecast. Edinburgh wet and cold would not be fun so we cancelled.
This summer, I am surprised to writing, is as bad as last year's.

Today, instead of delivering dogs to their holiday home, we went to a shopping mall instead. I found what I wanted and will post pics later.

11 comments:

Sheila said...

Good for Whitney. You are a very good dog owner.

Iris said...

Congratulations, pretty little Whitney!

It's too bad about your trip. Just as well to wait until the weather cooperates. We're having a record cool July here - and wet.

Yarnhog said...

Congratulations to you and Whitney!

fairy godmother said...

Sorry about the vacation, but congrats on Whitney! Your work has paid off. :-)

Nan said...

Congratulations to you and Whitney.

You must be so pleased.

joannamauselina said...

Wow! Congratulations on Whitney! What a girl!

Pam said...

Congratulations Colin and Whitney.
She is gorgeous though - you can see why she won.

Pam x

Susan Caraccio said...

Give Whitney an extra hug from me, I am not really a doggy person but she is simply beautiful, such clean lines and wonderful looking fur, I would love to pet her in the flesh!

Anonymous said...

Well done Colin! But why is it good for a black dog, are they not so popular or something??

Susan said...

Ahh, Edinburgh in the rain, I remember it well. I mean you can only drink so much beer or tea right? No fun in wandering the Golden Mile with rain dripping down your collar. This pathetic summer seems to be on both sides of the pond. Wonderful job with Whitney, she is a beauty. How very exciting and satisfying for you!

Iris said...

Your edit is right on. Our little Kelly, while a wonderful little silver toy poodle as a pet, has been linebred to within an inch of her life. While not truly INbred, the line breeding was close enough to accentuate both the positives and the negatives. She has a gorgeous conformation, BUT has patellar luxation, kidney problems, and a host of other medical problems. You and my sister are in it for the right reasons.