Thursday, February 26, 2009

THIS, THAT AND A BIT OF THE OTHER

WEIRD

Well, I did remember my blood test which I had this morning. I had 3 people remind me by email and one by text message. As I know I have more than 4 readers, I gather the rest of you have the same C.R.A.F.T. condition as I!!!

I did my swim and all was well until I got back from the surgery. My plug got pulled and I couldn't even knit I was so weak. I went to bed but couldn't sleep. (Spell Check thinks couldn't isn't a word!) I feel better now and my hands don't feel like they weigh a tonne with sausages for fingers.

I say all was well with my swim, by which I mean I was able to do it, and enjoy it, though my hips weren't(spell check thinks that isn't a word too) that keen on it and my left hand went pins and needles and then numb again. It does that frequently and I assume it is because of the crumbling discs in my spine. You'd be amazed at where those discs cause problems. Maybe though you would not be as I am sure that you all know your nerves are in the spine!

KNITTING

I am really into it right now. Okay, so I always am but I am sure you have noticed I am doing much more machine knitting too. I have that feeling again, the urge to create with the wonderful yarns I have.I might even be kidding myself that I can knit it all. Given time, Yes, about 300 years worth. (Why does spell check think abotu is a word? Is it?)

READING

I have a tonne of books to read too. I am having to resist the urge to buy those books I see that I am sure I will like because I must have about 2 years worth of reading already. Mmmm, does this sound familiar?

I am reading RAVEN'S GATE by Anthony Horowitz right now and am enjoying it. I think it is aimed at the teenage reader so I am enjoying it very much. Not at all patronizing or childish. I have tried re reading the Narnia books but they are childish.

PUPPIES

Are almost lead trained. They do walk on the lead well but they still stop and especially so when they see people or traffic. Little Dorrit squares up to the cars as if daring them, whilst James , Dudley and Carly all back away. I have to take them out one at a time for training as they much learn to stand on their own feet. Most importantly, they are not freaked by the outside world and not so stubborn, as Apso are prone to be, that they fight the lead. I always start training at 8 weeks on the day. I get pissed off with some I meet at shows with a puppy of 6 months or more and they boast it has never been on a lead! Shows little care for the poor puppy I think, expecting it to go a lead for the first time in such a situation. Then they wonder why it freaks. Too many of them, adults too, only ever go out when they attend a show. Apart from that, they are kept confined indoors, some of them in cages where they are kept most of their time and never even get to play with each other. They get taken out to the garden, one at a time, to pee and poo and str8 back to the cage or pen.Never mind how cruel that is, why have the dogs if that is how you keep them? What is the point?

I often think that people who keep their dogs like this miss out on so much. When I get down on the floor with my dogs and pups, we have so much fun! When I go to bed, I always have a dog with me. When I am watching TV or knitting or reading, the dogs are around me. They are confined when I am not in and at night time, for their own safety. I do not go out all day unless I have a dog sitter, I will not keep them in their cages that long. I wish I could say that all my fellow exhibitors / breeders treated their charges the same way but alas they don't. To some they are a means to an end and that is it. A spotless house always is a warning to me of a poor life for dogs. I certainly would not entertain the idea of one of my dogs going to live like that.

All of my dogs play and run around in the garden. They play with each other, with me, with visitors. I have made concessions that don't affect the dog: I have fenced off all the hedging so they cannot get into it and wreck their coats. Other than that, they do as they please. My way of thinking is that if they can't get a floor length coat living a normal life, then they have the wrong type of coat for an Apso in the first place! These are hardy, tough dogs from 16000 feet above sea level, in the Himalayas, Tibet. They are not toy lap dogs. (not that there is anything wrong with Toy breeds just that the Apso is not one.)

4 comments:

Annie said...

I am really pleased to see what you have written about your dogs. I'm sure it must be noticable when you show them, too, as a happy dog, living a proper doggy life, must have much more to offer a judge. I love seeing the pictures of your dogs, they are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin
I did think about reminding you about your blood test then I forgot LOL

My memory sounds as good as yours

Pam x

Sheila said...

I'm glad to hear your comment about your dogs not being little lap dogs. I get that comment that people can't believe that Madison is a poodle. As if all poodles are frou-frou little dogs. They were hunting dogs and she knows she's a dog. She's a good little athelete and loves to run agility.

knitwych said...

I'm glad you remembered your blood test. Like Pam, I thought about emailing you and then I forgot. 8-)

I totally agree with your philosophy on dog-rearing. So many people get dogs, don't bother to train or socialize them, and then get rid of them because they're destructive or spaz out when people come over or can't quite get the hang of housebreaking - any number of stupid reasons that are NOT the dog's fault, but the owners! I get so angry about that.

Our house is unapologetically pet-oriented, and people who can't deal with dog/cat fur don't last long. I have a dog trainer friend who is totally amazed that my dogs are not crated when we leave the house. We keep crates for feeding time (so the Chihuahua doesn't steal the Shepherd's food) or when someone needs confining because they're injured, but everybody has full run of the house the rest of the time. They're happy and we are, too. I live by a very strict rule: If my animals don't like someone or react strangely to them, that person does not come back. The one time I backed off that rule, I got robbed, so I definitely pay attention to how they act around visitors. Although I occasionally gripe about the vacuuming and sweeping up pet hair tumbleweeds, the joy our furry pals bring us is well worth the grunge work.