Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Brrr!!! It's Freezing

As I suggested to John after our wet and cool summer, we are having a very cold winter. It has been around 0c for ages and is dropping to as low as -12c at night. I think the cold will last a long time yet, even if this goes it will come back before we see Spring.

I was finally able to go back to my normal pool today. They have been closed nigh on 5 weeks and had a new heating system put in at a cost of £100,000. Needles to say it has broken down. It was partially fixed yesterday so they said we could swim today. Well I went and the pool was only 26c which is cool to say the least. I have no idea why, but for me, even though I swam vigorously, I did not warm up but got colder. I only did half a mile and that was it, I was losing the ability to move. Now at home in my heated house I am still cold and typing this feels very odd as my hands are frozen along with my legs despite my layers and warmth. I have no idea why I get so cold. Perhaps its the drugs I take, maybe the one for blood pressure? The Atenolol which is a beta blocker? The aspirin? I don't know. I just know I am bloody cold and will go back to bed shortly.

The puppies and Shameless are doing very well at 9 days. Shameless is being a royal pain about eating. Refusing food and insisting on me trying to find somethig she will eat. No more. Today is the day I quit that. She isn't sick and she will eat eventually.

Have almost finished a new pair of socks in Regia Kaffe Fasset colour design line. Juts plain st st.

It amazes me how anyone can justify the bombing of children. It amazes me that anyone would believe that this will end the hatred. It amazes me how people take sides and don't see both sides are as wicked as each other. Nothing will change until they accept they are the same.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting, and sad, how quickly insightful and "noble" human beings can become reduced to their basest animal level in the quest for more; more land, more possessions, more money, more ANYTHING.

Yarnhog said...

I've never understood how soldiers killing each other (and civilians) could solve the world's problems. Which is probably why I became a diplomat, rather than a soldier.

Suna Kendall said...

Honestly, until we all realize we are humans and have more in common than not, we won't be able to stop stupid fighting. We are ALL fallible, full of prejudice and imperfect. But we are all wonderful and valuable to, just as we are. But, humanity loves to think in terms of "us vs. them" and I don't think a bunch of idealistic pacifists like me will change that. Won't stop me from trying, though.

joannamauselina said...

I read once that folks who are in good shape are less likely to survive in a cold situation. Us couch potatoes who never exercise get warm at the least exertion. Maybe the only advantage of a lazy lifestyle. Sorry about Dr. Zhivago. That would be torture. I thought it was pretty tedious even a grownup.

Nan said...

I heard an analysis of this latest insanity on the (alternative) news. They suggested that Israel amped it up now because Bush and his buddies would support them. They also thought that Hamas was firing rockets so that they could remain relevant in the political realm. Whatever the various motivations, it is only serving the interests of politicians and not the people in the crossfire.

Until both sides acknowledge that they both have a right to live there with some security, I suspect the idiocy will continue. An eye for an eye leaving the whole world blind, as Gandhi said. It accomplishes nothing but death.