Tuesday, August 05, 2008

All Sorts

SHOW

I am off to a dog show tonight so will be in bed by 5pm to be up at midnight. 250 miles to the show.
3 of the puppies have gone to their new homes, three still here. I changed my mind about Mama Mia and she is now called Tabitha which is what I had planned in the first place but forgot! I have habit of getting my words muddled and I made myself laugh Sunday night because I I was calling Shameless and Lui to bed but what I called out was: Lameless and Shui.

I have been to three shows recently where the judging has been very dodgy indeed. I now know why people get uptight about it! I don't mind at all being beaten or even going unplaced as long as I know the judge has no agenda other than judging the dogs fairly and honestly to the best of their ability and opinion. However, when it is clear that it is the owners of the dogs being placed or thrown out, it is very galling. It is also galling when you know that a successful dog has had it's pigment enhanced by cosmetics. I just cannot understand how people who cheat and judges who lack ethics sleep with themselves and I don't see the pleasure in winning unfairly with a dog. If the dog doesn't win on merit what is the point? Oh and it seems that such exhibitors and judges think the rest of us are so thick we don't see or recognize what is going on.....

PAIN CONTROL

I have been trying out something. I am taking half my allotted pain meds but I am taking it every day and regularly. I start as soon as I wake up and then every 6 hours. This is only the second day doing this. Yesterday, I was able to swim well and with little pain though I still needed help to get out of the pool. I spent the day doing stuff I had to do and did it all smoothly with little pain. I also felt good, not grumpy. And not knackered either. Today is going smoothly too.

I will have to do this for a while to know if it's the drug regimen or not. I am wondering if chronic pain causes fatigue? Is it coincidence I don't feel so knackered? Is it the lack of nagging pain that has made me feel much less grumpy so that the little things I found got me annoyed don't now? Time will tell.

SAD NEWS

Millie has gone back to live with Lorraine. She started to eat coat. We won't be trying again with these Mini Longhaired Haired Dax. It's too upsetting. I just have to accept the fact that coat chewing is their thing and as I have long coated dogs, they are not compatible. Drats.

IS THIS LOVE?

I learned when very young to keep my feelings in check. I knew that whatever or whoever I got close to, I would lose.

Now I don't know if I love at all. I don't know if I am capable of it. I know I love John because of the thought of him suffering in any way horrifies me. However, I am not sure about anyone else. I don't know if I love them for them or just because they treat me well.

I know I am not without feeling because I reach out to others when I see them in pain. I am not sure that is the same as loving though. I think I am so used to keeping my emotions in check that maybe I can't love now. Sometimes when I feel joy, always in relation to John, it frightens me and I feel my solar plexus slam shut.

I think some damage is not undoable. Maybe this is one of them. I don't know. I ponder this a lot wondering just how much of what I feel is genuine caring for others and how much is about protecting myself and therefore ultimately self centred.

NON, JE NE REGRETTE RIEN

There was piece on the news regarding Long Grove Asylum. I spent some time there in 77/78. I will never forget that place nor some of my fellow 'patients' nor some of the staff, so called 'carers'.

Anyway, I go to think about how some people say they have no regrets about the past and would not change it if they could.

I now think I understand this position whereas before I did not. I longed to change my past. Or, failing that, I longed to have something happen to me that would wipe my memory.

Today I know that I am the result of my past experience. ALL of it. Every bit of it, all the suffering, all the good and all the bad. Everything I did and everything that was done to me. Everything I said and thought, everything that was said to me and taught to me. All of it.

I like who I am today and I am happy. I no longer want anything from the surviving members of my family. For the longest time I thought I need recognition from them of my suffering and their part in that, a recognition and remorse for the abuse.

I don't need it today nor do I want it. The day I realised that the stuff that was done to me was done to me because of who THEY were and not because of who I was, was the day I was freed to really grieve and to let go of all that shit. With the letting go of that went the desire for anything from them. I am truly free of them. Finally. And I can truthfully say,

non, je ne regrette rien.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your dax. Sometimes, like every other relationship, it just doesn't work out. And I agree with you about show judges. I think it's worse over here, but I'm not sure about that. It seems dog shows here are very political.

I don't think I know how to truly love, either. In fact, I may be worse than you in that respect. I also don't have anything I can put my finger on. I wasn't "abused" when I was growing up, really. I was mostly ignored and took a back seat to my niece who was only five years younger and lived with us. She was (and is at 55) very lovely and vivacious and I think that, along with caring about her greatly, I was also jealous. I really don't remember too much ever being praised for what I did well, but being scolded for NOT doing well. My dad was not so much this way, but he was a military man and gone a great deal when I was little and let my mother handle things when he retired. He was a really gentle man who just stayed in the background. He used to teach me things, though, and was fun to be around when he had the inclination.

Anyway, I wonder how many of us are out there who go through the motions and wonder what's wrong with us. I do well with "friendships" and best with those that are loose.

I still say we may be long lost siblings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin-good luck tomorrow-travel safely.
Sometimes what we feel inside is expressed in different ways towards different people.
Perhaps when, in the past, our love, kindness, gentleness, our caring and our trust in another person has been betrayed, then I have found that "something" dies. It's as if a warm flame has been snuffed out.
I know that for a long, long time I had vowed never to "love" so totally again...so that I would not be hurt again.
But time can be a great healer.
And true friends can be a great comfort, and bring us joy, and laughter.And cloak us with the warmth of our friendship.
Then we meet someone who seems to mostly love us in a way that we need and want-and we begin to trust.
A good friend of mine has a great maxim:-
"...handsome is as handsome does.."
If we are treated well, for what appears to be no reward, then that is a good indicator to me that the person really cares.
I read something the other day which I feel is quite profound. This person said that as we move forward in our lives, and life is good, it is only natural to think back to when our lives were bad, when bad things happened to us.
When we do, though:-
"we can look, but don't stare"
Dear Colin, you are much loved by many people, and I for one feel loved by you!
Don't stare! (if that's not too controlling a thing to say!).

Anonymous said...

I think you have something there, in taking your pain meds around the clock, thereby keeping the pain med levels steady in your system. Yes, chronic pain can lead to fatigue; it's very taxing, to say the least, to be in constant pain.

Colin, there are all types of love. I have met some people who can't love at all, and most of them didn't care about anybody, either. Compassion and caring are a type of love, in my opinion, and it doesn't have to be personal. Sometimes I think that I love people more than they love or care about me. That used to bother me, but you know what, it doesn't any longer. I feel great just having the ability to possess loving feelings at all.

Anonymous said...

If ever yo do work out the love thing Colin, let the world know, cos it sure doesn't seem to know it yet! I think fear of being hurt by another person that you are 'in love' with is universal, and I also think it's scary to be the loved one in case you hurt them! It should be so easy - so loving - and its not! I have been with my man for over thirty years (child bride!) and I am still scared!

FuguesStateKnits said...

Dear Colin, I suspect you love; you just don't recognize it yet. I don't have it all right yet, but I will keep trying 'til I die - it's a worthwhile cause:)
Joan
PS Read your post of today (8/8) and hope your pain is better! Pain can be pretty damn tiring, too!