Friday, July 11, 2008

COWARDLY BIGOT

A woman registrar took her employer to a tribunal for unfair treatment. She won her case. the council, Islington, are going to appeal the case.

I hope they win. I hope they sack her.

She has refused to marry gay couples. She hides behind her Xtiananity as the reason she refuses to marry gay people. (Gay people have been allowed to legally marry for almost 3 years now).

This woman is a bigot, pure and simple. She is also a coward and a hypocrite. Instead of admitting that she personally hates homosexuals sh hides behind her religion, She blames Jesus. Bollocks!!!
If this hatred of homosexuals was not in her heart she would reject any such teaching! She doesn't reject it because it is within her to hate a group of people. She of course will deny this and say it is her faith and she must follow it. Again Bollocks!!!

What angers me more is that this woman is black. Has she learned nothing from the bigotry she has suffered from? There are people who justify their hatred of blacks on religious grounds or just because of their belief system.

Why don't people get this? We all believe what we believe because it is within us to believe it, it fits in with our conscience. Her conscience is not different or better just because she claims to be a Xtian.

A Jew hater is such because of their belief system. Why don't we tolerate that? Because we know it is wrong. Yet we tolerate other bigots who justify their hate by claiming religious right. This woman sees her victory at the tribunal as a score for liberty of belief. If that is the case, then people ought to be free to not have anything to do with her based upon her skin colour. I am sure she will accept not getting hired or being sacked
or married because she is black . After all, it would be a matter of conscience would it not? The person bigoted toward her because of her colour has as much right to claim 'liberty of conscience' as she does.

It seems to me that in the eyes of the tribunal it is okay to hate gays. They have sanctioned it. They have given it their seal of approval. How much has really changed?

People who say they follow a God of love yet are so full of hatred make me want to puke. I don't like the feelings it engenders in me and I have to make a conscious effort to remember that they too are part of the Great Spirit and as such I can only pray that this evil is expunged from their soul.

SWIMMING

Odd day. I was felt fine on the way to the pool. I had drugged up properly. I got in and started to swim and it was really an effort. Often it will be and by the time I have done 20 laps I have loosened up and feel fine and go on and do my usual 80 laps. Not today. I could barely swim at all. It was like swimming in treacle. I stopped at 40 laps but really wanted to stop much sooner. The loosening up didn't happen and by the time I did stop, I could just about get out of the pool.

PUPPIES

Mum is now telling them to &*^& off when they try to suckle. they like being in the garden, their 3rd time this morning. They explored much further away from the house today. They ate well.
i have more less dismissed two of them as show prospects. The boy looks very promising. Then that leaves 3 girls that may be-or may not! This is a very even litter so Mum and dad were a good match. Time will tell which I will keep.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I'm surprised - but I feel if a person is a government employee, that person is REQUIRED to follow the laws of that government. Termination of employment is appropriate for someone - it's the same as insubordination and people do get sacked for that.

Yarnhog said...

I agree with gailr. If a person's job is to execute the law of the locality, then they have only two options: act in accordance with the law, or quit. I was a diplomat for the U.S. government. I was required, on a daily basis, to act in accordance with laws that were morally offensive to me. I did so, because it was my job, and when it got to be too much, I quit. But I would take it a step further. If your job is to provide a service, you must provide that service even-handedly. In the U.S., Walmart allows it's pharmacists to refuse to dispense medications to which they have a moral objection, even though the medicine is prescribed by a doctor and legal. I think this is equally reprehensible. No person should be allowed to unilaterally substitute his or her own judgment for laws that are designed to protect the rights of others.

Anonymous said...

I think, and I'll borrow from a comment that someone left on my blog, that they forgot the commandment, Love Thy Neighbor

Anonymous said...

Gail, I'm with you here. It doesn't make sense ethically for this woman to behave this way. No one is forcing her church to marry anyone they don't believe should get married - the state is simply saying "this is a job duty you must perform."
I don't get it. If her church won't recognize the marriages anyway, what difference does it make?
I'm not putting this well, but what I guess I am trying to say is that even if one were the biggest anti-gay bigot in the Eastern Hemisphere, this behavior simply doesn't make sense. If I were a government employee and they were asking me to issue a certain widget and I was politically opposed to issuing that particular widget, it would be "tough sh*t" we live in a democracy - so suck it up. No one is asking her to participate in a torture session, or to herd people to the gas chamber. Does her faith really teach her that marrying people who believe differently than she does is the equivalent of those awful things? How sick!
Hope I'm making sense here. Am babysitting grandkids and am losing brain cells by the minute - just kidding!
Joan

Ali the Artist said...

Colin - I do wish you wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Christians like the woman involved in this case hate homosexuals. Her position is one of conscience, based on the teachings of her faith. I am a Christian, my brother is gay, he and his partner had a civil partnership last year, which I attended and even made the celebration cake for! I love my brother and his partner - their sexuality has no bearing on that love. I do not hate homosexuals. A Christian conscience absolutely does NOT equate with hatred (in fact that's a contradiction in terms!), and the fact that this woman has stood up and been prepared to be counted makes her very much NOT a coward. I think you might need to be careful that you're not bordering on bigotry yourself, against people (like myself) who hold with the teachings of the Bible. [The online Encarta definition of a bigot is - intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity, who refuses to accept different views.]

Anonymous said...

Ooh Colin - you must feel the strain an awful lot, but you do get people talking, and hopefully thinking (I deliberately used that order!)in an exciting and stimulating way! I have been following this thread backwards and needless to say I won't be seeing Ali in her version of heaven. I will hopefully be raising a glass of excellent Claret in my version of Heaven with all the evil nasty folk who believe in a loving and unjudgemental Universe!