Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Inappropriate Song

There is a song that was a big hit in the 60's and fit is constantly played on a loop cd at the pool. It is called Young Girl and was sung by Gary- something - and The Union Gap.

The words to this song are appalling. The following is just an excerpt:

Young girl, get out of mind,
My love for you is way out of line
You'd better run girl
You're much too young girl

and so on.

The man singing puts the onus on the girl for his feelings!

Maybe you think the words are harmless?

try this:

Young boy, get out my mind
My love for you is way out of line
You'd better run boy
You're much too young boy

I don't understand why this song still gets so much airplay. I was told when I commented on it that I 'think too much' Now where have I heard that before? Oh, yes, from those who requirted that I keep my mouth shut in order to save themselves.

Whilst I am at it, remember Delilah by Tom Jones? A nice little ditty about a man who kills his girlfriend and then blames her because she had the temerity to make him jealous. Despite asking for her forgiveness, he still blames her for his behaviour. She deserved to be strangled did she not? And this song was also a big hit.

6 comments:

Mary-Lou said...

Gary Pluckett ... I think

Anonymous said...

You are right on the mark. It's interesting how many times we listen to music and "bop" along with it, not even hearing the words. It's the "elevator music" syndrome. I've been listening to some rap and hip hop lately (not by choice) and the words were simply driving me crazy. There's way to much profanity in it for my taste, and I'm no prude! That being said, I never actually paid attention to the words you mention. I was always just too engrossed in the overall "sound" of the music.

Maybe we should pay a bit (a lot) more attention to what's being slipped into our minds by the back door.

CP Warner said...

That was Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. I ever thought about the words much, just thought it was a dumb song, but yeah, you've got a point here. And I didn't know the words to Delilah, just remember hearing my mom's landlady thumping it out on her parlour organ on Sunday afternoons.

I, too, have been accused of thinking too much.

The one that really, really, really bugs me is Rupert Holmes' Pina Colada song. It got played ad nauseam and I didn't think much about it in my youth, but now as an old married lady (23 years this month!), it totally galls me. Words and tirade are on my blog somewhere in the recent past.

I agree with the other lady who said it's nice to see your smiling face on your blog page. :-)

FuguesStateKnits said...

Ohmygosh - Gary Puckett and the Union Gap! It was one of "our" songs when I started dating the boy who was later to be my husband. He was three years older than i and looking back, i think i'd have kittens if one of my kids was doing what we were doing (although in truth we weren't "doing" anything! It was 19 freaking 67 and the nuns were chaperoning the school dances, his mom drove us there and my dad was waiting on the front stoop when his mom dropped me off. And this was the boy next door!)
Yes, the rest of the words are even worse

With all the charms of a woman
You kept the secret of your youth
You led me to believe
You're old enough to give me love
And now it hurts to know the truth

Oh oh oh young girl get out of my mind
My love for you is way out of line
Better run girl
You're much too young, girl.

With all your perfume and your make up
You're just a baby in disguise
and though you know
it's wrong to be alone with me
that "come on" look is in your eyes..
Oh oh oh Young girl...etc. etc.

Wow we were really bad - and both of us were too young to realize it.

Gary Puckett had another song that was also pretty gross -
Lady Willpower
It's now or never
Give your love to me and
I'll shower
Your heart with tenderness
Endlessly

Ew...

Anonymous said...

....and thus it was from the days of Adam and Eve who because of her curiosity has always been blamed for the downfall of man....

More recent pop music is just as inappropriate - what about YMCA???

FuguesStateKnits said...

YMCA is addressed to "Young MEN"
Let us not confuse same sex relationships with pedophilia! That's something I fear the Catholic Church did in 2002. Lest anyone flame me for this - I was Catholic then.
Joan