Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bother

I really don't want to be writing negative stuff. I am having a bad time physically. I am off to the Dr again today. The last three nights I have not slept well because of pain. I am fairly convinced my spine and ribcage are inflamed again and the cause is probably the swimming. I didn't go this morning. I decided last evening I wouldn't if my night was bad. I was in bed by 12 and up and in pain by 1am. I fell asleep in the armchair and went to bed at 5am and up at 8am.

I am finding this very wearing. Last Thursday was a crying day and so was yesterday. I don't understand this. I'd have thought enough was enough already.

I can't stop the swimming. It keeps me fit as regards my heart and weight and it helps with my mobility. However, the inflammation it causes of my spine is a royal pain. On top of this is the IBS nonsense.

I could murder a cigarette.

So anyway I am going to talk this thru with the Dr, John's as mine is away, and see what I can do. I have taken 1000mg Paracetamol and 600mg Aspirin this morning and will see how that helps.

I am about to shape the neck on my Aran. Am almost thru the first Regia Landscape sock and have knitted the whole back of a cashmere sweater on the machine. Oh and have completed, but not sewn, a moss stitch rib sweater in cashmere/silk/merino.

Edit: of the three anti-inflammatories I have taken, Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Diclofenac, Aspirin is the one that causes me no problems that I am aware of. The other two can cause me painful reflux. Also, they interfere with the blood thinning properties of the Aspirin. I do not take either the co-codomol or aspirin for long periods of time and it is unusual for me to even take it more than 3 times a day during bad times. I guess I am lucky in that the aspirin doesn't do me in. I take the enteric coated kind that dissolve in my intestine not my stomach.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Colin
Sorry to hear you are not feeling to good today.
I noticed you are taking aspirin. This is known to be contraindicated in people who have a history of peptic ulcer (aspirin is ulcerogenic), asthmatics,gout (aspririn is uricosuric)it also reduces platelet aggregation (causing longer bleeding time as the blood thins).
Soluble aspirin is known to be better tolerated by the gut.
Best wishes
Sandy

Anonymous said...

It is amazing to me that, even with your ills, you are able to accomplish so much.

I do hope this goes away, once and for all, soon.

fairy godmother said...

Hang in there, I'm sending good thoughts and thinking about you.

anachronist said...

Ah drats, when one thing seems to get better, others jump in and tell you there is work to do.

I am sorry you have problems agai, and hope the dr can find out what it is and how to treat it best.

Pains can let the spirits drop and still you are up and making things, this is so strong and positive that you dont let it bring you down.

Hoping for you that it resolves and can be treated and you can have better nights and days.

LizzieK8 said...

Good thoughts your way....

krisleon said...

Sorry you dont feel well Colin,i hope you feel better soon.
Take Care Cheryl

Anonymous said...

And there's me just moaning about the bloody rain - keep on keeping on Colin - you have great spirit.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Tai'chi as an alternative to the swimming.

There's variants for people with disabilities including several for people in wheelchairs.

This may not aggravate your back a much.

Suna Kendall said...

Keep your spirits up, friend. I really look forward to seeing the latest sweaters.