Sunday, October 21, 2007

sunday evening

i feel better than this morning. less fear. have done a lot of crying. the awful pain in my stomach goes when I cry. I remember from that before, 12 years ago, when I went thru something similar. yet it still frightens me. the feeling is dreadful yet once the tears come it dissipates.

I listened to a talk this afternoon at a meeting which turned out to be about forgiveness. that set my tears off again. forgiving seems impossible. how can you forgive such pain? Not that I am sure what it means anyway as I do not want revenge and don't wish bad things.
then i got to thinking that maybe it is myself i need to forgive. for all sorts of things, the ocd, the eating disorder, the self medication, the hating myself, the putting myself in harms way, for choosing friendships with people who only abused me more because i didn't value myself enough to recognize ill treatment. How I managed to find John I don't know. Even that was not as it ought to have been as for many years i thought there was something wrong with him because he always treated me well. i found that very confusing and sometimes still do. He doesn't put me down, he recognizes my needs, he treats me kindly. He doesn't mock me or make me feel ashamed. he has never hit me. He hardly ever raises his voice. He doesn't frighten me.

I have done a lot of harm to myself. I also still feel shame. I feel ashamed of my current state. I feel I ought to be more grown up about it. others are far worse off than me. i worry about writing all this on my blog. vulnerability is not easy. i feel i ought to be 'over this'. but this is where i am and there seems little i can do about it except go with it and try and believe i will come out the other side.

one of the things i was told, apart from that i was possessed by demons(fundies have demons for everything), was that I would die horribly and sooner rather than later because I was offensive to God and I don't mean I said something offensive to god, no that i personally was offensive to god, my very existence.

This is all mixed up with my fear right now. no matter how illogical and wrong it is, the fear is still there and almost overwhelming. I remember laying in bed at night, when a a child and teen, terrified that I was about to be struck down and made to suffer for eternity in hell. now at 48, I am still laying in bed at night fearing the same but with more terror. How the hell did I survive that as a child? It is barely conquerable now so I just don't know how a child could deal with it.
Flashbacks are awful. I do see the illogicality of what I am experiencing but it doesn't stop the experience coming over me in waves.

I am tired now and will stop.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are right. Maybe you do need to forgive yourself. There is no need to forgive anyone else - they aren't worth it.

You had NO power. You had NO way to prevent what happened to you. YOU are the offended party here.

You deserve to be happy.

LizzieK8 said...

You're lucky to have John. Give him a hug for me. I'd love to have someone kind in my life....

Healing is hard...

Forgiveness...I look upon it as nothing I have to give to someone else. I think forgiving is what we do to ourselves. It's hard to look at things we've done to ourselves and others and forgive our actions. We are taught to be mean to others and ourselves.... So we have to recognize it, try to stop, and not beat ourselves up for it.

Anonymous said...

Dear dear Colin,
FORGIVE yourself. Inspite of the load of terrible things that happened to you, have you not found the one being that understands, supports and loves you? Have you not made many friends through this blog and your doggie activities?
No child is inherently bad, they are frightened, beaten, locked in dark places and God only knows what else, thus traumatized for live. I realise that adult knowledge and understanding will not make those deep seated fears go away, but hopefully this is only a phase that you'll pull out of and be able to enjoy the live you've created for yourself, yes YOU did that. Be proud of what you've achieved.
I feel for you with all my heart!
Hugs
Christa

Anonymous said...

I can so identify with your fear of being cast into hell for eternity....hell being the state of perpetual fear which never ends. It is almost impossible for others to understand this state of mind, even my husband who is extremely empathetic and used to stay awake with me all night when I was attacked by these thoughts could not identify with this terrible fear and truly believed that because he loved me so much that he could take away my pain. Unfortunately in this case, love is not enough. I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I know how sensitive you are to people who preach to you but in my case, even though I truly believed that God hated me and was trying to crush me out of existence(what a horrible burden!) I started to ask Him to help me forgive and love myself so that I could have peace in my life. Peace was all I ever wanted but all I seemed to have was constant mental turmoil although it was never apparent to anyone who knew me, my husband was the only one I felt I could confide in because I also had a terrible fear of being locked up in a mental institution for the rest of my life. Anyway, I certainly didn't have an earth shattering miracle but after 12 years of therapy, antidepressants(I am bipolar) and especially letting go of all abusive relationships that I was in I can truly say that I am no longer haunted by this fear, although I do get minor flashbacks when under stress but I have come to believe in my heart that I am a worthy person who deserves to be treated with respect and kindness. You are truly a brave person as I know the humiliation I used to feel when my veneer would crack for all the world to see, especially when I had to be hospitalized but by talking out your fears you are not only helping yourself, you are also helping others. I am holding you in my thoughts and wish you nothing but peace in your life. Irene in Wpg.

Anonymous said...

you are not evil, or anything even close - it was just the reason they gave themselves to justify the abuse.
putting some of it away from yourself at the time because it was just too much for anyone to cope with is how you survived, and now for what ever reason it has begun to come back out again. It is almost beyond comprehension that anyone could do such horrible things to another person. I think you have already served your time in HELL. You know why you did all the things you did to yourself, because you believed what you were told as a child - it is not your fault. But now you know and you are doing the best you can to recover and go on.
I have only 1 thing to say about anger - justified or not - the person who is angry seems to be the one who pays for it. I was really, really angry for a long time and it made me very unhappy and in pain. Do not think that I belittle the reason you have for anger - it is truly enormous.
something that helps me sometimes is to list out all the good things that I have - it just changes the focus a bit. I think you will find that you have quite a bit. (I know it is a bit simplistic but sometimes simple is good)
I hope that you can find your way thru this sooner rather than later