Friday, September 07, 2007

Pardon?

We were in Sainsbury this evening.

Within a few minutes I had been knocked into by two different customers and one staff member.


I asked customer services if they had a wheelchair I could use. They brought me one that I could not wheel myself in as it's wheels were tiny.

I said so.

The 'customer services' person said I ought to be grateful they were giving me one and that a member of their staff would wheel me around!


I politely told her that this was insulting, that taking away even more independence was not helpful.

The look on her face was 'oh a nutter'. She said 'Really?' with genuine astonishment when I told her it was insulting to offer this chair....


I kept my cool and went away. I did get angry inwardly and felt like going back and crippling the stupid person with my sticks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that everyone should have to experience life in a wheelchair for a bit - I was glad that the 2 times I did were temporary! But, people flat out knocked into me with carts and then glared at me for being in the way. Many people won't even look at a person in a wheelchair -like what it is contagious?
I do think that it made me more aware and hopefully more courteous, too! The one thing that I have noticed in my area is that more and more businesses have wheelchairs and motorized scooters to get about.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lisa. Everything is harder for the disabled and made harder by a lack of compassion and planning.
Truly, I think accomodations should be made for folks with special needs. I'm going to have to pay more attention; I don't think many businesses in the US even offer these amenities. I know there are not such things here in the backwoods mountains. This place is 50 years behind.

Bo... said...

I agree with Lisa. What is wrong with people who are so insensitive? That remark by the customer service person WAS insulting. I did look at your knitting---and, as usual, it is gorgeous.

Gillian said...

I was one of the collectors for MS this Saturday in Hitchin. My sister uses a mini-scooter and I walk. People talk to me and not her but put the money in her collecting tin!!!!
Because of her difficulty in accessing many areas, I am much more observant than I used to be about going places.
If you ever come north to County Durham, I will be happy to suss out ease of access for you because I do it with Cathy in mind all the time,
Hope you are well now
Cheers Gillian