Sunday, July 29, 2007

What the.....?

I have belonged to a list for many years. I have not once had any cross words on that list.

Someone other than the list owner complained about OT posts and subject lines.

I posted that it was the list owners job to tell us what what was what and that she had too much class to be heavy handed with us all.

Next came a public post from list owner which left me in no doubt that during the last 7 years my OT posts were not welcome. (edit: no I was not singled out or even mentioned only OT posts were.)

Okay so that made me feel really rather stupid, but not really a big deal. I just wish I had been told so years ago and I would not have sent such posts (which were about HK not MK). I would have appeared much less stupid too!

So I wrote and apologised to the list for my misunderstanding. The post didn't arrive. So I went into the group to post from there.

I then discovered I was put on moderation!

I can't believe it. Not a word said to me. Just swiped at like that. To say I feel hurt is an understatement. Talk about a very pointed 'you are not welcome'.

I don't deserve to be treated like this. If I had repeatedly done something I had been asked not to, fair enough, get heavy. I have done no such thing. Not once have I ever been asked to not post about HK or my pups and in fact I only posted about them because I was asked to and resulted in maybe 4 posts a year with a one line link and in usually in an on topic post! Plus anything about HK has not been more than a couple of times a month and again just a link, unless others asked questions.

I am not arguing that I ought to have been allowed to do this. Just that I should have been told years ago not to.

To add insult to injury, for several days, an OT topic has been generating many posts and is being allowed to continue because it as an approved OT topic.

EDIT: I have had an email from list owner and it was the usual friendly mail. This explained that I had not done anything wrong and that the whole list was put on moderated.
Yes I have considered deleting this post but as this is a diary of sorts, have decided not to.

7 comments:

Clarisse said...

Hi Colin,

I figured that you might post about this on your blog. I just want you to know that I won't be participating in that group anymore. I was very disappointed by what happened too. I used to look forward to reading all the posts as that was a very active group and I enjoyed the chatter about most of it too, what I didn't want to read, I simply didn't read.

I learned so much from the collected wisdom, the encouraging compliments, the inspiration from new projects, and the occasional off topic posts that let us all get to know and understnad each other a little better, made much better reading than the repetitive "you need to check your sponge bar" advise.

I love seeing the hand knit items along with the machine knit items, after all, it shows what a different yarn is like and inspires me to try new things on the machine.

Anyway, I thought you might like to know that you are not alone in your feelings on this one.

Clarisse >^..^<
desertknit@npgcable.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin,

I just wanted you to know I totally agree with you. I loved reading your posts, about your pups, your handknitting or your machine knitting. I have learned so much from you as you have shared all of your knowledge with the entire group. I too think I will no longer participate in this group. I have had a few issues before and post very sparingly because of them. I will continue to read your blog to find out what your doing and watch the pups grow. Best of Luck with all your endeavers.
Sandy in Pa.

Unknown said...

It sounds as tho the list parent has decided moderation of all entries can allow the correction of errors both real and imagined.

I've dropped from groups for much the same reason - sometimes it is just better to back away since it may not be worth the fight.

Maggie said...

Hi Colin, always enjoy your posts, know I am moderated at Sockknitters and have been for years but some there are not and can get away with posting anything, LOL, maybe it's who you pal with that matters..
Anyway, I enjoy your blog, and like the crokery, hope it stays intact for a long time, Maggie in IL

Anonymous said...

I have felt some hostility from "regular posters" also and have wondered about the "in group" on this list too. Sad thing is we complain about HK's treatment of MK people and it does appear to go both ways, MK swiping at HK. Too bad, I am active in both realms and I also enjoyed your posts and do love that heel. I guess rise above it and knit on; I'll be checking your blog now that I won't see you on the list.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Colin, I appreciate the time and effort you take to post. Very understandable why your feelings were hurt. You know, all "communities" whether they are church groups, school, social, or internet based always have tensions/aspects that make belonging and participating difficult. But your life is more enriched and the lives of others are more enriched by your participating.

Bo... said...

I was thrown completely OFF a dishcloth list once, heh!