Monday, July 16, 2007

The Catholic Church's Evil Grip

So after years of silence in the face of child abuse, after years of hiding paedophiles, Mother Church has bought it's way out of court by giving away billions to a small fraction of it's victims.

It isn't just that the hierarchy of the the Roman Catholic Church was complicit in the sexual abuse of children by protecting it's priests and denying the victims.

No.

Not just that.

It's whole ethos is based upon abuse. The abuse of young minds. The rape of innocents.


'GIVE ME A CHILD UNTIL HE IS SEVEN AND I SHALL GIVE YOU THE MAN'.

Hence we have millions of people worldwide who were corrupted by nuns and priests in childhood. Who were convinced in childhood of the infallibility of the Pope and his cohorts. Who were convinced that to question their authority or their love was to be booking a one way ticket to hell and damnation for all eternity.

The power of such brainwashing is immense. Thus even with those who go on to get themselves a good education, the pull of the Church remains. Fear and guilt win and even the educated person toes the line. So effectual is this method of brainwashing that the person thus brainwashed more often than not does not even question it.

So in 2007 this evil empire still has it's claws into billions of innocent ones. Will continue to abuse children. Will continue to house and hide paedophiles. Will continue to wallow in it's riches.

And the world will allow it to do so and pay lip service to love and compassion for children and human kind in general, directing it's ire toward Islam or whatever scapegoat is found next.

Anything but clean it's own shit up.

2 comments:

Ktrion said...

Thank you for this, Knitman!

Pope Rat and his policies (protect the corporation, not the children) makes me sick. sicker. sickest.

thanks for speaking up.

Anonymous said...

So often, when I read or hear former Catholics - like my husband - talk about their childhoods, I am so glad that I was raised haphazardly as a sort-of Protestant in the late 50's - early 60's. I escaped "churching" so very well that I have no trouble with God - didn't even realize they wanted me to believe that one of his "sons" (my "brother") Jesus actually WAS/IS supposed to be God until the last decade. If I had known what dogma and creeds I was supposed to be signed up for as a Christian, I - a career physicist - would have never been one for very long. Now that I've been put in the position of having to read theology (because of some extraordinary experiences of God in my late forties and early fifties, and my attempt to talk about them to religious people - not necessarily a good idea), I am so glad that it all went over my head for so long. I am currently trying hard to finish writing a book I owe Fortress Press about physics and theology based on my own experiences of God, the experiences of the founders of world religions - not their dogmas - and my knowledge as a theoretical physicist. I have had a hard time finishing this book because of life stuff (including having some miserable problems with my recent former employer - a Jesuit college) and sometimes because I worry that no one will want to hear what I have to say. It's not Christian (or anybody's) dogma; it's not scientistic atheist dogma; it's not New Age "anything goes" spirituality. Basically, I've tried to take the experience of God - direct experience, not seeing-your-life-as-if-God-were-a-certain-way experience (a strange interpretation of "experience" I ran into among the evangelical theologians I spent a sabbatical with) - and "tell" it using metaphors from a modern scientific worldview, rather than from an ancient pre-scientific worldview. Colin, you don't have to print this. I just thought I could tell you about my own current sort-of, rather-negative involvement with religion. I love your comments in Socknitters and here and the photos you share. I also thank you for bravely speaking up with this blog entry. I hope I find and keep such courage myself!