Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Gory Details

On Saturday, we were out most of the day. Finally found a supermarket that sold real food and had choice of various cheeses and meats and condiments etc. Waitrose. Now when I know I am going out, I drink much less cos otherwise I need to pee all the time. I was tired when I got home as was normal. Later, my stomach started to grumble and I needed to go to the bathroom where I passed water from my bowell. I then felt fine and that was that. I went to sleep.

I awoke the next day feeling okay, just the arthritis hurting like hell. So I took the pills and had a coffee which I didn't finish. I didn't go to the bathroom which was unusual as I am regular as clockwork. I had to drive 100 miles away later that day to give a talk, so I drank very little. The talk went well and at 9pm I began to drive home. I felt very tired, the pain in my joints was bad, I couldn't move my neck much and I had a headache. I got home, ate a small meal, drank a glass of water and went to bed.

I awoke about 3am with stomach cramps. I was also violently shaking, or jerking all over is more apt. I got to the bathroom with great difficulty and passed a load more water. I could not stop jerking about. My teeth were chattering and I felt dreadful. I went back to bed and John woke up and just held me, thinking I was cold I suppose.

By 7.30 am I was not at all with it. I could barely move, was confused and my body really hurt. So a doctor was called. He wanted to hospitalize me. He said I was dehydrated. I refused the hospital but started to drink water. As soon as I did, I needed to go to the loo. This is how it has been until today.

(As an aside the Dr somewhat lacked in bedside manner. He kept asking how come I was so knackerd so young! He was obviously under the impression that arthritis is for old people only.)

The most frightening thing was how quickly I had become dehydrated and how ill and disorientated that had made me. Imagine if this had happened during the week when I am on my own.

This morning I feel much better. I have a dog show tomorrow and I am wondering whether or not I am fit to go. I shall see later. It is a 300 mile round trip. I really want to go but I have to wait and see how my tummy is I guess. I hate the idea of wasting the £25 entry fee and not seeing my friends.

You know there are some very good people to be met thru this medium and I appreciate that. There are some nice loons as well and then there are the sick nasties. Recently, there was a regretful discussion about alapca on a list. Speaking for only my posts at no time did I get personal with anyone, no personal attacks and no rudeness. I cannot say the same for some of those written by others. (oh and I to make sure I was not fooling myself, I re-read every post I sent on the subject in case it slipped me by!). Anyway, insiginificant you'd think, wouldn't you? Well a week later and I am still getting vile personal attacks anonymously about this subject. Seems like some people really don't like others to have an opinion that differs from theirs. One of the great things the net did for me was show me the sickness in others which I had not been aware of before.

One good thing about being able to speed read - you can scan a message and quickly know what sort it is and delete the mean spirited ones without reading it. It only takes a couple of key words and you know the type it is and trash it unread.

THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO LEFT EMAILS AND COMMENTS ABOUT MY NOT BEING WELL. MUCH APPRECIATED.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you were so ill. I hope that you're doing much better now. I'm sorry the doc was so rude...you'd think he'd know better. I have arthritis and fibromyagia so I can really understand your pain. I love reading your blog and have been for quite some time...we're on Jeanie T's sock group together.
Hugs in friendship,
Steph

Ang said...

Glad to hear you are better now. Good luck with the dog show.

Karen said...

Sorry to hear you have been ill. I am glad you liked the shawl. i had a lot of fun knitting it, and even though the wedding day was warm enough that she didn't need to wear it, I like the idea that I commemorated an occasion with it and got it done on time. I am sure it would have beed chilly and grey that day if I had not finished.

Hope you stay well. The puppies are adorable - I call my daughter over to see them every time I check in.