Friday, March 31, 2006

South Africa

John is going to Durban, South Africa on Tuesday until the 15th of April, lecturing. Last minute work trip.

I do not like the idea. One because SA is not a safe country. And also because he hasn't been away for so long since I have become disabled. This will be a challenge. Tho my friend Nicky has already said she will be here to help me when I need it. Mainly to do the shopping.

I only see John at weekends anyway. I am used to him being back Fri till Monday morning. The jobs I can't do get done then.

Most importantly, I just miss him when he isn't here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John will be fine. I know, I hate it when my Jim goes too. But you will be alright, and just make sure you plan something fun for yourself while he is gone. That way you have something to look forward to (beside him coming home!). I usually use the time Jim is gone to eat things he doesn't like. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin, I know several people who went to SA for work or lectures, all engineers. It is true that it is not a safe country, and you have to be careful. And not foolhardy: if anybody asks for your wallet in the street, on no account try to resist.
At the airport, always have somebody waiting for you.
Well, I guess you and John already know this and much more. What I really wanted to say is that the all came back unharmed, and they all loved the country. Wines, too, are very good.
But nobody brought back a diamond. How sad. I love diamonds. The best substitute for a dew drop, which I was never able to take, or even to look for a long time, as the silly things evaporate so quickly... Diamonds would be better... if you could pick them in the grass! They don't grow in mine, unfortunately.
Silly Hélène